As we head into the new year, I wanted to take a moment to celebrate our 16th anniversary.
When I look back on how far the agency has come I can’t help but reflect on all the “pinch me” moments. What launched at my kitchen table has grown to a fully-integrated national team of 30. We now have 2 offices (Toronto & Vancouver), a robust senior leadership and a robust bilingual team of event experts, digital strategists and content creators. I couldn’t be more proud!
Throughout the years, I’ve learned a lot about myself and about running a successful business. I’m grateful to the mentors who have supported me – and continue to do so – and for the life lessons that have propelled Faulhaber Communications to where it is today.
It wasn’t an easy edit, but I’ve rounded up fifteen nuggets of wisdom that have helped guide me and continue to inform my vision for the future. I hope they impact you the way they impact my every day.
My guiding principles:
1. Work-Life integration. Integrate work and life priorities to find a happy harmony.
2. Knowledge is power. Read everything and anything so that you’re constantly learning.
3. WFA. Offering the team remote work-from-away flexibility gives them space to be creative on their own time.
4. Make a good impression. Whether that be a firm handshake or a polished outfit.
5. Understand your audience. Whether it’s a client or your team, you need to learn and understand their motivations.
6. Everyone is different. Try to put yourself in other people’s shoes as much as possible.
7. Hard is good. If it’s not difficult then you’re not innovating.
8. Know your strengths. And know when to use them.
9. Stay true to your goal. Times will get tough but you have to remember why you started.
10. There’s no roadmap. Embrace change.
11. Bring your thick skin. Entrepreneurship is competitive.
12. If you don’t ask you don’t get. Don’t hide your talent.
13. Real-time is often the right time. You never know what opportunities you’ll miss if you’re always waiting for the right time.
14. Fake it till it’s true. It’s as simple as telling yourself that you won’t fail, that you can do it, and then seizing the opportunity for all it’s worth.
15. Fortune not luck. Growth isn’t something that happens by accident. You need to plan for it and make it happen.